Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Crockpot Granola


5 cups oats (regular, not the quick ones)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter
a total of 2-3 cups nuts and seeds- I used a can of lightly salted cashews and a bag of Planter's Fruit and Nut Trail Mix
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used raisins and cranberries)

Put all the dry ingredients except for the dried fruit into your crockpot. You'll need at least a 4 quart.
Melt the butter in the microwave and add. Add the honey. Toss well.
Cover, but vent with a chopstick. That keeps it from being too moist. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring often.
If you can smell the granola cooking, go stir. It will burn if you don't keep an eye on it. I'm not kidding- stay close and stir often. After it finishes cooking, add the dried fruit. If you try to cook the raisins in with the granola, they burn quickly and turn into hard, tasteless lumps. Ask me know I know...
Eat with milk like cereal, warmed with milk like oatmeal, or as is. I like mine mixed with yogurt. Seal well in an air-tight container or in a ziplock bag. Granola freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment